Monday, June 18, 2012

Query Letter Writing (The secret 8th level of hell)

OK, maybe they're not that bad, but I do have a special hatred for query letter writing, especially now that I'm about ready to start querying. There's so much to squeeze into one little paragraph. Four hundred words just isn't enough.

Of course it does help that I have no publishing credits so I don't have to take up word count with it (Though I don't know, I guess it would be a good thing to have credits too). Still four hundred words is very little space to have a hook, an intro of major characters, an intro of the conflict and villain and a theme.

I've written five separate queries thus far, all of them pretty decent but I don't think I've gotten any of them down pact. Still pressing on though.

Hopefully the letter will be sent out by the end of this week. Lord almighty help me.

-Authoress Anonymous

2 comments:

  1. I am I'm exactly the position and I utterly agree with you. Where did you hear the four hundred word count rule? I'm sure I am under that, but my query is more than one paragraph.

    Best of luck! Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not exactly a rule, I just have been measuring the word count of a lot of different successful query letters and 400 is about the average. Mine is more than one paragraph as well, no worries. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete