Thursday, October 25, 2012

Parents (Which I sort of already did but whatever)

Number 1: Yes, I know I haven't updated in a little while. Life happens :P

Number 2: I know that I've already sort of talked about this character in my post about mothers but hey, fathers should be thrown into the mix as well.

Parents are tricky in all genres of fiction, but especially in Young adult. That's because most people think that the best way to capture the mind set of a teenager is to pit them against their parents who totally don't understand them. They're, like, so old fashion.

This gets under my skin, of course, but that's not to say it can't be done well. So let's take a look at stereotypes vs. 3D characters for parents!

Stereotype: This can go several different ways. First, the parent can be there just to be a part of the conflict. They hold the MC back, cause drama in their life, or just don't understand. This usually falls short when the issues they get in fights over are trivial, as opposed to something really debilitating (Like physical and emotional abuse). Bad parents in fiction aren't bad, per say  unless their arguments with their child are trivial and, like, so old fashion. (Ok I'll stop with the 'like' bit).

The other stereotype is the dead parent... yeah. YA books have crazy 'kill off the parents' syndrome, often because they just don't want to have to deal with writing their characters. This can work too, so long as it has purpose in the story. Like the death of the MC's parents come into play or effect them throughout the book.

3D characters: This can go several ways as well. First of all, if you're going to make your parents emotionally or physically abusive, they should have a reason. No one is abusive just to be abusive (Outside of psychopaths but we will get to them later) so every parent who hurts their child must have some kind of reason to do so. There should be an attempt at understanding why the parent does what they do. They shouldn't just be villainized.

The dead or missing parent should also have a reason, as I said, for being dead or missing. At the start of my book, the father is dead and left the MC at a young age. But he plays a really major role in the story both plot wise, and in developing my MC's character.

Or, crazy thought, you could make the parents nice.

Mind blown? I'll give you a moment.

Done? Ok good.

You see, I like reading books about genuinely helpful parents. I love Mo in Inkheart as he is such a carrying, awesome dad. I love Molly Weasley. I like Tris' mom in the Divergent books. Nice parents can be really awesome. They don't have to be the source of conflict. They can help the MC.

That's jut my personal thoughts on 3D vs. stereotypical characters. Of course your opinion is your opinion and I can sometimes be guilty of that 'dead parent' stereotype.

In other news I got another partial request, and then rejection. True I've gotten two partial rejections, but at least I got requests in the first place!

Now I'm kind of a contest guru. I'm obsessively entering in whatever I can find, so fingers crossed for good results!

Not sure what my next special will be on but see you then!

-Authoress Anonymous

2 comments:

  1. Hi, new follower here. *waves*

    I came over from KT Crowley's blog where you let a comment on my BD Logline. Btw, thanks for that!

    As for your post, I have to agree with what you've said about parents in YA fiction. Being an avid YA reader, I found I wanted to write "my parents" differently in my current project, IGNITE (the one you commented on), because I wanted to show that a normal teenage girl CAN have normal parents.

    My MC has BOTH a mom and a dad, and she actually LIVES with both. (Not sure I've ever read of that happening in YA, ha ha) Her parents are the average curfew-nazi parents (her words), but do it b/c they love her...AND, b/c they think she's still recovering from the shock of her grandma's death.

    For me, having both parents alive and well works for my story. That's not to say I'm against "other" situations. In my current WIP my MC loses both her parents, but it's an intricate part of the story and wouldn't work any other way, really.

    Sorry for the long comment. This has always been an important concept to me regarding YA fiction. Thanks for sharing. I appreciate your insight. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, I love long comments. And you're welcome for the log line edit. Thanks so much for following. I'm glad to see someone else agrees with me about the parents :)

      Delete