Saturday, July 14, 2012

Trip of a lifetime (And what I've learned)

Finally I have returned from the unknown of the Baltic: That mysterious, overseas land in which I could not use my cell phone or email or facebook or any other messaging device, less I risk paying an arm and a leg for them.

But seriously, the lack of communication with the outside world did not at all hamper my experience of that wonderful place. I am eternally blessed to have been able to see eight different countries in just ten days. I can add eight more countries to my extensive list of places I've been (A list that only included America until quite recently.)

Since the vacation is fresh in my mind I thought I might talk about what I learned while I was there. Specifically: What I learned about writing.

Settings are fun.

Yeah, that's a bit of a weird thing to learn. But I've never been a particular fan of describing the scenery in minute detail. I'm more of a characters person. The setting is just kind of there. Now that's not to say that I don't love it when older books go into minute detail about their settings. I'm just not very good at it. Description of settings is probably one of my biggest shortcomings in my writing.

Maybe it's because the settings were never solid in my mind. Maybe it's because I've never been to the place I'm writing about because it's fantasy. That all changed when I went to Bornholm (This little island off the coast of Denmark). I remember thinking to myself as we drove through the small town (That contained buildings older than America) "Hey, this could be the setting of this book!"

And the trend continued. I found inspiring buildings, towns and, especially, churches all throughout Europe. From the quaint old town of Tallin to the modern Russia. And I took pictures of EVERYTHING in order to solidify my memory of these amazing places. I hope to use these pictures when I describe my scenery in the future. Maybe it will improve.

It is a shame that many books don't take time to describe their scenery anymore because so many editors, agents and publishers have told us to start with action and GO, GO, GO! I kind of want to see more stories really take their time and linger in the setting. Because even if it's not my strongest point, it can be an amazing tool in the hands of a master.'

-Authoress Anonymous

1 comment:

  1. Hey, glad you came back - and doubly glad it was such a terrific trip!

    You know, the story that sticks out in my mind when we talk about selling it with setting is "Lilo & Stitch." Did you know that they were originally going to have it set in Kansas? Can you imagine? Sure, technically you could have the same basic plot-structure, but when I think about it, I don't think "oh, that's the movie where the alien is disguised as a dog and makes friends with the little orphan girl" - I think "oh yeah, that was the one with Hawaii and aliens and Elvis and that neat round-nose animation style!"

    So I guess what I'm saying is, rock on - if you're legit excited about your book's setting, the reader will be too.

    ReplyDelete